England started their Europen campaign with a 1-0 victory over Croatia, as Raheem Sterling gifted his team three precious points at Wembeley Stadium in front of arround 22,500 supporters.
Following today’s game, we will take a look at some interesting facts about England.
– Tyrone Mings became the first player from Aston Villa to feature in England’s starting line-up in Euro. The last player from Villas’ squad to feature was the team’s current manager, Gareth Southgate, when he was called up for Euro 1996.
– For the first time since Euro. 1992, England’s starting XI did not include any player from Manchester United and Liverpool.
– England participated in Euro on ten occasions and they became the team with most matches played (31) in the competition.
– England have never lost a game when Raheem Sterling scores. He netted in 11 matches and the Three Lions came out victorious in all of them.
– Following today’s 1-0 victory, England sealed their first clean sheet at home against Croatia.
– For the first time in their history, England managed to win their opening European championship game.