Italy topped Spain in the Euro 2020 Semi-finals after defeating La Roja 4-2 on penalties tonight at Wembley Stadium.
Following tonight’s game, we will spotlight some interesting facts and numbers.
– Georgio Chellini faced Spain five times to become the most European player to play against La Roja in history.
– Jordi Alba equalled Andres Iniesta’s and Cesc Fabregas’ record, as he managed to feature in 16 games in the European Competition.
– Leonardo Bonucci equalled the record of Gianluigi Buffon, as he wore Italy’s jersey in 17 games in Euro.
– Italy set an impressive record, as they achieved their best goalscoring in Euro’s history. The Azzuri managed to score 12 goals throughout the campaign.
– Five players from Italy’s squad managed to score two goals in the campaign ( Federico Chiesa – Ciro Immobile – Lorenzo Insigne – Matteo Pessina – Manuel Locatelli). France was the first team to achieve this record in Euro 2000.
– Alvaro Morata became the first Spaniard player to score for a club and his national team at Wembley Stadium.
– Alvaro Morata became Spain’s all-time top goalscorer in Euro scoring six goals.
– Italy became the most team to play extra time in major competitions, with a record of 20 games.
– Alvaro Morata became the second player to score three or more goals in two European Championship competitions. The first player to achieve this record was Cristiano Ronaldo, who scored in Euro 2012, Euro 2016 and Euro 2020.
– Spain equalled Portugal’s record in Euro 2016, as they played three extra times during the current campaign.
– Following today’s game, Italy have reached the final of a major competition for the tenth time in their history. Italy is placed second behind Germany, who managed to play 14 finals throughout their history.