Italy topped Group A with nine points after defeating Wales 1-0 tonight at Stadio Olympico.
Italy reached Euro 2020 round of 16 in style, as they achieved their third straight win in the competition.
Despite losing tonight’s game, Wales secured their qualification to the next round, while Switzerland are waiting for their fate after thrashing Turkey 3-1.
Switzerland could still have a chance advance to the next round as one of the four best third-placed teams after defeating Turkey in Baku.
Following today’s games, we will highlight some interesting facts.
– For the second time in their history, Italy did not conceede any goal in Euro group stage. The first time was in Euro 1980.
– After beating Wales in Euro 2020, Italy have equalled their previous record with 30-game unbeaten run. The first time was between 1935 and 1939 when Vittorio Pozzo led the Azzuri to win two consecutive World Cup titles.
– Italy managed to win all their games at group stage in a major competition for the fourth time in history.
– Gianluigi Donnarumma became the first goalkeeper to be substituted in Euro 2020.
– Swiss Steven Zuber equalled the record of the former Portugese player, Rui Costa and the former Danish Player, Michael Laudrup . Zuber managed to provide three asissts in one game, just as what Costa did in Euro 2000 against England and Laudrup against Yugoslavia in 1984.
– Aged 20 and 279 days, Ethan Ampadu became the youngest player to recieve a red card in Euro’s history.
– Italy equalled their record in 1998 World Cup, as they managed to score 7 goals in Euro 2020 group stage.
– Romelu Lukaku, Cristiano, Ronaldo, Xherdan Shaqiri, and Ivan Perišić are the only players to score in four successive major competitions ( 2014 World Cup – Euro 2016 – World Cup 2018 – Euro 2020).